Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Recap

11:05am-3:45pm

1) Personal Journal 
2) Watched Bill Nye the Science Guy on Youtube (cells 1/3)
3)  Continued Cells, Etc. unit here and wrote questions to go with the lesson in his science journal again.  We stopped at "Golgi Apparatus".
4) Watched Bill Nye the Science Guy on Youtube (cells 2/3)
5) Spelling Review (next 10 words on list on dry erase board, context sentences using prior definitions)
6) Found a wonderful unit study for our first book, Treasure Island, here.
We did page 5, "Class One", but Cam read chapters 1-3 to himself during school.  He had a blast watching the youtube of the pirate songs, making his own pirate flag (his pirate name is Scurvy Kracken Leplank!), and making a "Captain's Log" (journal for the book).   We visited this pirate glossary before reading the book to get prepared for different sayings.  The book we have was $1 at half-price books, so I just had Cam highlight the words he didn't understand as he read.  Afterwards, we reviewed them.  He wrote in his captain's log a summary of the chapters after reading them.  Then, for fun, I had him write "If I were a captain and had my own pirate ship the rules would be:" in his captain's log.  He put some amusing rules in there!
7.) Typing Lesson 3, Lines 1-3
8.) Had him play this baseball math game online.  I set the difficulty to "hard", gave him scratch paper to do the problems on the sheet of paper if he needed to, and set it to incorporate the basic 4--addition, multiplication, subtraction, and division.  He did outstanding!
9.) I set up an email address for Cameron.  I decided the wrap-up journal about home school was pretty boring, so I decided that not only would he have contact with everyone, but he would also be practicing his typing and writing skills with his own email.  I told him to put one thing he liked and one thing he disliked about the day.  He was so excited about it!  (Of course, I have his password, for safety reasons!)

Also, I sent Cameron an email tonight letting him know some of the things we are doing tomorrow (history-intensive) and how smart I think he is.  That way, he will have something to open in the morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment